My radio is not functioning Ford F-150 2012

2012 Ford F150

My radio is not functioning, it just appears “ford built tough” and then it just shows the hour.

There are a few things that can cause the functionality of your radio to stop working. I will list the common reasons below. It turns out this issue is pretty common on the 2012 Ford F150. The most common cause for radio to stop working is poor manufacturing of the radio main circuit board. The soldering on the circuit board cracks or fails. My research showed 5 separate Technical Service Bulletins. 4 of the bulletins were related tot he Sync System and the other related to the door speakers. In most cases a software update was required at the dealership.

Fully Charged Battery

The first step with any electrical issue would be to make certain you are testing the system with a Good, fully charged battery. As with most electronic devices a weak or bad battery will not allow the system to function properly. I am going to assume this is not the case for you as when the engine is running the alternator is producing more than enough juice to operate the radio system.

Blown Fuse

The next step would be to check for a blown fuse. There are generally more than one fuse involved in the operation of the entertainment system. Refer to the owners manual for exact locations and quantity.

Reset Sync

You may be able to reset Sync. This can be achieved by holding both the power and right seek button down for at least 15 seconds.

Radio Quick Fix

It has been reported in many articles on the internet that there is a possible quick fix. Meaning without taking the vehicle to the dealership. This quick fix requires removing the radio and then removing the main circuit board from the radio. Next heat the circuit board in an oven at 365 degrees for 10 minutes. This is an attempt to remelt the soldering on the board so that the flow will no longer be uninterrupted where it may have cracked.*Note, Remember to allow the circuit board to completely cool before handling so the soldering does not move and create a worse issue.

Replace the Radio

I think the headline speaks for itself. If all testing and trials do not succeed then you are left with replacing the radio unit.