I have to put a little coolant in 2017 Dodge Journey

2017 dodge journey

I bought this 2017 Dodge Journey about 6 months ago. The first time I drove it about 80 miles out of town, it got hot on me. But right away I was able to pull over and put coolant in it. And it has not got hot since but it runs a little warm when the weather is hot. Is this normal? Every now and then I have to put a little coolant in it and yes I am using the right coolant the orange one for this vehicle.

This vehicle has the controlled temperature setting and I was wondering if these vehicles show the gauge on the temperature to sometimes run a little warm then cools back down?

This is usually an indication of a coolant leak. And with you continually needing to ad coolant, I would say you have a leak somewhere. The cooling system requires all leaks be fixed in order for it to build pressure properly. A coolant pressure test would be the next step to take to determine where the leak is and fix it. Then your temperatures should normalize.

Cooling System Air Bleed Procedure

A. Evacuating or purging air from the cooling system requires the use of a pressurized air operated vacuum generator. The vacuum created allows for a quick and complete coolant refilling while removing any airlocks present in the system components. NOTE: The service area where this procedure is performed should have a minimum shop air requirement of 80 PSI (5.5 bar) and should be equipped with an air dryer system. NOTE: For best results, the radiator should be empty. The vehicle’s heater control should be set to the heat position (ignition may need to be turned to the on position but do not start the motor).
B. Refer to the Chrysler Pentastar Service Equipment (Chrysler PSE) Coolant Refiller #85-15-0650 or # 399-550000 or equivalent tool’s operating manual for specific assembly steps.
C. Choose the correct cone that will fit the radiator filler neck.
D. With vacuum generator off, hook up to shop air supply (80 psi/5.5Bar).
E. Install adapter cone and gauge assembly to the filler neck. (Ensure proper seal).
F. Turn on the vacuum generator.
G. Run vacuum generator until system has a good vacuum throughout the cooling system (see operating manual for correct pressures). NOTE: Do not bump or move the assembly as it may result in loss of vacuum. Some radiator overflow hoses may need to be clamped off to obtain vacuum. NOTE: If a strong vacuum is being created in the system, it is normal to see the radiator hoses to collapse.
H. Close the vacuum generator.
I. Disconnect the air supply from the vacuum generator.
J. Wait a few minutes to make sure system does not have a leak.
K. Place tool’s suction hose into coolant container. NOTE: Ensure there is a sufficient amount of coolant, mixed to the required strength/protection level available for use. For best results and to assist the refilling procedure, place the coolant container at the same height as the radiator filler neck. Always draw more coolant than required. If the coolant level is too low, it will pull air into the cooling system which could result in airlocks in the system.
L. Open suction side of tool to begin filling.
M. When vacuum gauge reads zero, system is full. NOTE: On some remote pressurized tanks, it is recommended to stop filling when the proper level is reached.
N. Remove tool.
O. Start vehicle with heater on. Allow to reach operation temperature. Then turn vehicle off and let cool down.
P. Top off coolant recovery bottle.