Ford mustangs have had an issue with the trunk wiring resulting in faulty trunk release & back up camera issues. They’ve issued a recall but only to fix back up camera. I had already checked the wiring a little while back and did find a couple wires that needed to be repaired. It fixed the camera but not the trunk release. It is a 2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost 4 Cylinder 2.3L Turbo
There are 3 ways to open the trunk;
1. an interior button which does work without problems,
2. an exterior button at the trunk that only works when the car is locked, and
3. the remote key fob which doesn’t ever work.
There is also a dash light that remains on saying trunk ajar when it is closed.
I have checked the fuses which are good and so I plan to check the trunk wiring harness again since i do not know what else to check. Could you please tell me which wire or wires go to the trunk release? Lastly, Is there a sensor or switch that I should be also checking?
Your time and assistance is appreciated!
I would think the trunk release switch would be the issue. As it would have a switch that is telling the BCM(Body Control Module) that the trunk is ajar. This would cause the remote to be unable to function. I have looked up the correct Trunk Release Switch for your 2015 Mustang. Will fit 2015 – 2018 Mustang.
About the only other possibility would be the Trunk Latch Assembly. If the internal switch is worn or faulty it can cause a similar issue. I have also looked this up for you: Trunk Latch Assembly Fits 2015 – 2019 Ford Mustang. Should be able to replace both yourself for under $100.
This is a direct replacement part and should be easy enough to replace yourself. I’ll ad the replacement procedure below.
Trunk Compartment Release Wiring Diagram
TRUNK RELEASE ACTUATOR R&R
- Press down luggage compartment lid emergency release handle retaining tab (1), Fig. 3.
- Remove luggage compartment lid emergency release handle (2), Fig. 3.
- Insert a flat blade screwdriver between luggage compartment lid latch cover and luggage compartment lid latch (1), Fig. 4.
- Remove luggage compartment lid latch cover while gently prying cover away from luggage compartment lid latch disengaging luggage compartment lid latch cover from tab on luggage compartment lid latch with a flat-bladed screwdriver (2), Fig. 4.
- Remove retainers and remove luggage compartment lid trim panel, Fig. 5.
- Disconnect electrical connector and position aside wiring harness (1), Fig. 6.
- Remove nuts and luggage compartment lid latch (2), Fig. 6.
- Reverse procedure to install. Torque luggage compartment lid latch nuts to 62 inch lbs.