Car about to overheat until I turn off the heater that was only producing cold air?

I was getting onto the interstate in my 96 v6 Mustang and pressed the excelleration to get in front of some traffic and the rpm’s was up to abut 4.  I had the heater on level 3 of 4 and when I accelerated the heat went from warm to completly cool.  I drove going 75 mph on cruise and the air was still cold and then I noticed my guage go from cold to medium, then I saw it going up to hot and I have never seen it do that.  I slowed down to about 60 and was driving for another mile and it stayed on hot.  Then I turned off the heat and the temp guage immediatley dropped back down.  I drove for a few miles without the heater on and then turned it back on and when I turned the heater back on it was working fine again.
   This has never happened before and I assume something needs to be done.  I didn’t want to spend an arm and a leg taking it to a mechanic if it is something simple the car may need. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Keywords:

1 thought on “Car about to overheat until I turn off the heater that was only producing cold air?”

1. This is common for a cooling system that may b low on coolant or if part of the cooling system has had resent work, it may have just had an air pocket and just needs the coolant topped off. I would start with checking the overflow tank and with the engine cool, check the radiator. If it is low, Find out why by having it pressure tested and fix as needed.

Comments are closed.