1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE

I’m having a problem with my van. When I first bought the van it ran but the tranny had 6 things wrong with it and wouldn’t go above 35. It was in limp mode. Then I bought a 99 transmission because someone told me it should work. Well I got it in and now the van will start but wont stay running. The cooling fan comes on but then won’t idle. Codes for the map sensor and cooling switch come up. I’m lost now. I have no clue what to do next.  Any help would be appreciated.

4 thoughts on “1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE”

1. Sounds like you unhooked a few things that might have not been reconnected during your trans swap. You will need to comb back over and make sure it all got hooked back up proper.

You computer is trying to help guide you in the right direction. If you do have everything hooked up proper and all is well, you may need to have the computer re-flashed to except the new transmission input signals.

2. How do I have the computer re-flashed? There were a few extra sensors and switches on the 99 tranny. I’m not sure what they are or what they do.

3. Well for right now I am in the clear. Was looking at the computer and noticed it wasn’t properly plugged in. Did that and the van started right up and stayed running. Now just have to change the front valve cover gasket and hopefully I will be back on the road. Thanks for your help!

Comments are closed.