1995 Toyota Celica GT

Car has new battery and will start intermittently. It’s not the alternator. You can drive the car about 1-2 miles and turn it off and it won’t start again. Go back the next day and it starts right up. Now it won’t turnover at all and no lights come on; this is the second new battery in a month. People have told me it could be the terminals, main relay, bad starter, etc. Hoping it will jump off this afternoon to take to a mechanic. At my wit’s end as I just spent $900 putting new spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, rotor button, new radiator, motor mount, transmission mount and now it starts when it wants to.

4 thoughts on “1995 Toyota Celica GT”

1. it could be the terminals, main relay, bad starter, etc. that others have suggested.

Lets look at what you have told me here.
    You Said “Now it won’t turnover at all and no lights come on”

This will ONLY occur if the battery is completely dead or you have a bad connection to the battery. So the first thing I would do would be to Test the battery and look/check the connection for any corrosion or loose terminals. There could be corrosion in the wires as well.

Now, if you turn the key on , have dash lights and then go to start it and it gives you repeated clicks “click, click, click” noise, this would indicate a weak/dead battery even after driving it and would be caused in most cases from a bad ALTERNATOR.

A good way for you to test your alternator if you do not have a multi-meter would be to start the engine and disconnect the battery and if it stays running, your alternator is good. If the engine dies, the alternator needs to be replaced.

Now, if you turn the key on, have dash lights and then go to start it and it gives you one Hard click only, then you need to replace the starter.

2. okay, the battery terminal was loose so I tightened it down and now the lights come on and everything but the car still won’t turn over. There isn’t even a click in the ignition, the key just turns without any noise whatsoever and nothing at all, no sounds, nothing, just doesn’t do anything at all.

3. Most likely the Battery is no longer charged since the connections were loose(if they were dirty they need to be cleaned as well) and could not charge the battery. You will need to have it fully charged and tested.

Once it is charged and tested to where you know the battery is good. Try to start, if still nothing, you will need to test for battery voltage at the “S” terminal on the starter while someone holds the key in the “START” position. If you see battery voltage, you will need to replace the starter.

4. sound’ to me like a neutral safety switch problem or a clutch pedal switch problem try putting the vehicle in neutral or wiggling the shifter

Comments are closed.