1990 dodge dynasty 3.0

I have a 1990 Dodge Dynasty 3.0. I drove the car around one afternoon running to some stores. Park the car that night and the next morning go to start it all it does is turn over. I check for fire on the coil with screwdriver and had fire. I sprayed starter fluid in throttle body and it act like it wanted to start. The next day I tried this. I don’t have a fuel pressure gauge so i pulled hose off the fuel filter on gas tank side and had a stream of a good size. then switch hoses to the motor side of the fuel filter and the same.I check hoses and pull spark plug wires then I went to see what the diagnostic codes was using the ignition switch. Well no light had to pull dash apart. No bulb put one in get code 12,17,26,51. I have not start the car yet. Neighbor come buy and show him what it was doing and it fired right up turned it off and on three or four times still fires up. Let it set for half an hour and then it was really hard to get started but it fired up. I hope you can help. Thank You.

2 thoughts on “1990 dodge dynasty 3.0”

1. OBD I Chrysler codes

•12 Battery or computer recently disconnected
    •17 Engine stays cool too long (bad thermostat or coolant sensor?)
    •26 Peak injector circuit voltage has not been reached (need to check computer signals, voltage reg, injectors)
    •51 Oxygen sensor stuck at lean position (Bob Lincoln wrote: may be tripped by a bad MAP sensor system causing a rich condition, and the O2 sensor trying to compensate. The O2 sensor may still be good. The MAP assembly consists of two pieces, the valve and the vacuum transducer (round plastic unit with cylinder on top and both electrical and vacuum connections) – If you get hot rough idle and stalling, especially on deceleration, accompanied by flooded engine and difficulty restarting, that can be a bad MAP sensor causing the O2 sensor to try to compensate. If you get poor cold driveability, stumbling and bucking, and acceptable warm driving with poor gas mileage (a drop of 10 mpg or more), that is usually the O2 sensor. [Webmaster note: MAP sensors seem to die regularly.]

First thing I would do would be to correct code 17. Check and or replace the thermostat, bleed the system and run engine to operating temperature. Disconnect battery for 10 minutes to clear any codes. Test drive and recheck codes and proceed form there.

Post back any codes that may come back.

I would also throw in a new set of spark plugs for good measure, as the old ones may be slightly fouled from the running rich condition.

2. Thank you for responding. I will replace the thermostat and spark plugs. Also to the next morning I got ready to go to work. So I drop the car in neutral and turn the key and it fired right up. I don’t know if that has anything to do with it but I figure it might be just a by luck. But thank you again and I’ll let you know if I have any problems.

Comments are closed.