’02 Volvo V70XC

I am considering purchasing an ’02 Volvo V70CX wagon. It has 198k miles, but everything else, as far as I can tell, is in top shape. Here’s the problem: the owner says it needs linear shift solenoids replaced. That’s a little beyond my expertise. How much should a reasonable mechanic charge for that service? The asking price is nice, but not if the cost of repair is too high. Thanks.

1 thought on “’02 Volvo V70XC”

1. Here is the Problem. It has 198,000 miles on it. That means the transmission also has 198,000 miles on it. The owner of the vehicle has told you what is wrong with it “the owner says it needs linear shift solenoids replaced”

He has already had it to the shop and diagnosed and been given a price to fix it. He has decided that the cost is greater than the value of the car and has decided to toss the car instead of fixing it. The owner has also figured out that fixing the car and then selling it wouldn’t bring him in any more money than if he tossed it as is.

You might be able to have the solenoids replaced and it fixes the issue, for how long we don’t know, but there is no guarantee at all that is the problem.

If the seller isn’t willing to fix it before you buy it, I would steer clear. The cost would be upwards of a $1000.00 to have the solenoids replaced.

Comments are closed.