1991 Toyota 4Runner SR V6

Hi. I have a 91 Toyota 4runner which just broke down on me. the problem is that it wont go into gear.. Ive had this problem before and the mechanic (my friend) said that it was the clutch, so he replaced my clutch, when I got it back it worked just fine. although I noticed some consistent problems with it as before. 1, the clutch will not engage (when I push the clutch in or whatever) until it is nearly all the way to the floor. 2, After the 7th day of driving it, it became harder and harder to get it to shift into any gear. finally came to where I could go into any gear (this happened while I was driving on my way home). So I looked the problem online and people were saying its either the clutch or the master. Those were an easy fix so I replaced both of them, I bought a pint of dot 3 brake fluid as required for the vehicle and continued the bleed out process. I did that and even had a clear hose line to make sure there was no air in the system. I do know that there are no leaks in the line also. after I had finished everything, I turned it on and still could not get it to shift, it was almost as if I wasn’t even pushing in the clutch. one more thing to state, I can still shift when the car is off, you can even hear it shift into each gear I go into, nice and smoothly. so my question is, is my pressure plate bad or is it the throw out bearing or does anyone know of what it could definitely be?

1 thought on “1991 Toyota 4Runner SR V6”

1. You were correct in your diagnosis, its either the clutch Slave cylinder or the clutch Master cylinder. Now, if you only replaced the clutch Master Cylinder and did not Replace the Clutch Slave Cylinder… You need to replace the Clutch Slave Cylinder and bleed again and again and again.

If you did replace both the Master and Slave cylinder then the issue is either it is not bled or the parts are bad. DO NOT USE RE-MANUFACTURED if you can help it. I have not had a good experience with this ever. If you are able to get them as a complete unit together form the DEALERSHIP, go that route, they are already bled. Just bolt them in and go.

If you have to do it yourself, Remove all lines and bled them as a complete unit. You will not be successful trying to bleed it with the force of the pressure plate fighting you the whole time. (my experience anyway)

Comments are closed.