2001 Honda Odyssey

Hello, I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey. In July I replaced the 2nd gear shift sensor, the transmission range switch and the EGR valve as well as cleaning all to the carbon build up from the manifold and the EGR port. My van had been running really well until about a week ago. Now I am having trouble with my transmission shifting.  I am able to back up with no issue but when I put it in to drive it sits for a bit before it will shift into drive. I can feel when it does shift and I know I can go. But then as I drive it will jerk a bit and then run smooth. If I have to slow down or stop and then accelerate again it will hesitate before going into gear. I can push the gas and the RPMs will go up and then shift hard into gear. My check engine light is on and the TCS light comes on and off. It is throwing the code P0705 that I had a short in the Transmission Range Switch. When I replaced this part in July I did replace it with a used part as I could not afford a new one. Will this cause issues with the transmission while driving or only when selecting gears? If I replace with a brand new part might it fix the problem?

Keywords:

2 thoughts on “2001 Honda Odyssey”

1. You Said “when I put it in to drive it sits for a bit before it will shift into drive.”

First thing that needs to be done is to check the transmission fluid level. What you are describing can be caused by low transmission fluid level. If it is low, fill it and re-test. If the fluid level is full. Then I would move on to P0705 code and possibly replacing the switch.

P0705 Honda – Short In Transmission Range Switch Circuit

Possible causes
    – Faulty Park/Neutral Position Switch
    – Misadjusted Park/Neutral Position Switch
    – Park/Neutral Position Switch harness is open or shorted
    – Park/Neutral Position Switch circuit poor electrical connection

When is the code detected?
    The transmission range switch detects the selector lever position and sends a signal to the TCM.

P0705 Honda Description
    The park/neutral position (PNP) switch includes a transmission range switch. The transmission range switch detects the selector lever position when the shift lever is in the N or P shift position and sends a signal to the Transmission Control Module (TCM).

2. Yes I did forget to mention that in July I had the transmission fluid drained and replaced and then I did it again when the issue began. So I will replace the range switch again and hope that fixes the problem. Thank you so much for the advice.

Comments are closed.