Nov 042014

hey there. I recently bought a 97 s10 blazer, it was cheap but needed a new motor and a little tlc. Ive got the new motor in and running great but im not getting a charge from the alternator. All wires are plugged in to the right connectors and all the grounds are grounded. I took the alternator to two different part stores to be tested and 5 out of 5 times it was good. I’m wondering if maybe the cluster could have something to do with it not charging? I figure the battery light and the amp meter are tied in to the same circuit. my cluster has been out before i bought it  and was just placed in there without the lens, registering 125k i assume the miles were rolled back. I haven’t taken it completely out yet because not having a tilt column i will have to take the plastic pieces under the dash off to drop the column to get it out and i  wasn’t sure if it would help my problem anyways. I have pulled it out as far as it would go before being stopped by the column  and tried to get it seated correctly quite a few times. Each time i do its something different one gauge or light that didn’t work the previous time will work then do it again it may not work, but i HAVE had all the gauges and lights working just not at the same time. Is there a specific technique to getting it back in and seated right? Also is there anything in particular i should look for if i pull it completely out? sorry for such a long message just thought i would give the best description of situation possible. Thank you very much for your timr and your concern any and all feed back would be very much appreciated…

One Response to “1997 chevy s10 blazer”

1. As far as the cluster is concerned, one fuse(#4) supplies power and it receives its ground from the alternator. This will only affect the battery indicator lamp.

There are 3 fusible links that need to be checked to make sure you are getting the correct juice.

Test for charging voltage at battery with a volt meter.

1997 chevy s10 blazer charging wiring diagram

Leave a Reply