2004 dodge neon (SXT, I believe)

I have a 2004 dodge neon (SXT, I believe). I have had the cam sensor, new spark plugs and spark plug wires and a new battery changed on it and these all fixed it for a little while. The car occasionally and randomly won’t start still and it is becoming more frequent. There are no codes, and I currently have my car at the 3rd mechanic, who “can’t find anything wrong with it”. I am a full time college student with little to no extra cash to keep fixing things and have the problem not get fixed. I could really use some more help!

3 thoughts on “2004 dodge neon (SXT, I believe)”

1. What I would do if this was mine would be to determine what is missing when it won’t start.

When it doesn’t start does the engine spin over but not start and run? Could be a loss of spark or fuel. Or does it do nothing at all when you hit the key? Could be a bad battery or Starter. Do you have to try to start it 3 to 4 times and then it fires right up? Most likely fuel related and fuel pressure is bleeding off…. A good test for this one is to cycle the key from “OFF” to “ON” (NOT “START”). Move it to “ON” and hold for 3 seconds and then back to “OFF”. Do this 10 times. If after cycling the key 10 times it fires right up then you know for sure your fuel pressure is bleeding off.

2. What I would do if this was mine would be to determine what is missing when it won’t start.

Spark or Fuel

You can try starting fluid in the air filter.
    You can check to see if it has spark.

3. The engine sounds like it is going to start but then doesn’t actually start. The mechanic had me try the cycling thing it didn’t get the car started. Only after I let the car sit for a while and try again, this time giving it a hard press on the gas while trying to start it, did it finally kick all the way over.

Comments are closed.