1976 chevrolet

I have a Delco 10 si alternator that does not charge. I put in a new rotor because the shaft was worn. I tried 3 new rotors and no charge. But when I steal a good rotor from a known working alternator, it will charge. Do new rotors need to be magnetized? Or what else could be wrong? Thanks. P.S. it is a self exciting,1 wire alternator

1 thought on “1976 chevrolet”

1. Do new rotors need to be magnetized?

Not that I am aware of, This alternator uses a rotating Magnetic field. The copper windings create the electromagnetic field when voltage is applied. Automotive alternators use a rotor winding which allows control of the alternator’s generated voltage by varying the current in the rotor field winding. An automatic voltage control device controls the field current to keep output voltage constant. If the output voltage from the stationary armature coils drops due to an increase in demand, more current is fed into the rotating field coils through the voltage regulator (VR). This increases the magnetic field around the field coils which induces a greater voltage in the armature coils.

Maybe check the diameter of the slip rings and compare it to the one that you used that works. Check all other diameters and compare.

Comments are closed.