2004 Dodge Neon

I had coolant leaking thru the AC vents so i had the heater core replaced two weeks ago. Now i have problems that I never had before the mechanic touched it. I took it back the next day because the AC was blowing hot air, there was a squealing sound coming from the engine and the car was sputtering when I slowed to a stop. Mechanic said he fixed a stuck valve. Now the AC only blows cold air when Im not idling and even then its not as cold as before I had the work done. Last weekend I took it on the interstate and after about 35 miles it overheated. It seems to run fine if I dont use the AC but I also hear a loud bubbling from the coolant reservoir when I turn the car off. Again I didnt have any of these problems before the heater core was replaced and now the mechanic is telling me he will not look at it again without charging me more money. Can anyone tell me what could be going on?

1 thought on “2004 Dodge Neon”

1. Sounds like the cooling system had an air pocket in it and is now low on coolant. This would cause it to overheat and create the bubbling noise in the reservoir. Also if the coolant had too much water in it and not enough anti-freeze(coolant) it would boil at a lower point than if it was mixed at the 50/50 ratio that is required.

The squealing noise would be from getting coolant on the drive belt and generally the belt will have to be replaced to get it to stop. As for the Air Conditioning, it may be just low on freon as it may have not been refilled to the proper level after the repair was made as the freon has to be recovered before the heater core can be remove.

This should all be covered under the warranty of the repair if the repair came with one. If it did not, you may need to find a different Mechanic that will warranty their work.

Comments are closed.