2001 Chevy tracker

I recently bought a 2001 chevy tracker from a dealership, the car fax was clean. I drove it to my dads house which is an hour away and it drove very nice on the highway and i continued to drive it on the highway and it drove very nicely. Than yesterday i drove it home from my fathers and the air conditioning is broken so i had it where it brought fresh air inside the car, and i had it set on cruise for 74mph. As i was driving and i had about ten minutes left on my drive i started to smell something burning it was a horrible smell and i just assumed it was from the outside and five minutes later the passenger side i started to see smoke( it was kind of white and not much of it), i turned off cruise control and turned off the a/c which brought fresh air in. My tank was empty so i filled it up to half a tank and since i was home by the time this all happened I’m not sure what happened. This is my first car and i have no idea what could possibly be wrong. I checked the oil and it was fine also, and now when i try to start the car it makes a weird noise that it didnt make before. help please!