2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2.4L

2001 Pontiac Grand Am
Yesterday, the low beams on my 2001 Pontiac Grand Am stopped working. They will not engage manually or automatically. I checked the fuses, they were fine. I swapped the two automatic light control relays with each other to see if it would have any effect, and when I put them back, my driver side high beam went out also. Now both my low beams and the driver high beam doesn’t come on. I have no idea what could cause this.

RESPONSE
It sounds like you are on the right track. You swapped out the relays to see if it made any kind of change and it did. Sticking relays can cause the lights to stay on or off. So I would replace both relays since they are the same age. I also think one or both headlight bulbs have failed. One low beam may have been out for a while. Replace both bulbs and relays and should work properly. Worse case would be a wiring or connection problem.

2001 Pontiac Grand Am headlight wiring diagram

2001 Pontiac Grand Am headlight wiring diagram

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Headlights

The headlamps may be turned on two different ways. First, when the driver places the headlamp switch in the HEADLAMP position, for normal operation. Second, with the headlamp switch placed in the OFF position, for automatic lamp control (ALC). During ALC, the headlamps will be in day time running lamp (DRL) operation in daylight conditions, or low beam operation in low light conditions. The LH HDLPand RH HDLP fuses, supply battery positive voltage from the underhood junction block to the left and right headlamps. The circuit continues through both low and high beam lamps, then back to the underhood junction block. The low beam and high beam circuits continue to the headlamp switch. The low beam and high beam circuits also provide the body control module (BCM) with both low and high beam inputs. The headlamp switch includes the dimmer switch and the flash-to-pass switch. When the headlamp switch is placed in the HEADLAMP position a path to ground is provided. Ground is provided at G201. Depending on the position of the high/low beam switch, either the low or high beam circuit will now have power and ground.

The LH HDLP fuse in the underhood junction block, supplies battery positive voltage to the automatic lamp control (ALC) headlamp relay coil circuit. The ALC relay switch circuit is connected to the low beam circuit at the headlamp switch. When the headlamp switch is placed in the OFF position, the BCM will automatically turn on the low beams in low light conditions. The BCM energizes the ALC relay, closing the switch contacts and grounding the low beam circuit. Ground is provided at G201. With the headlights in the low beam position, the high beams may be momentarily turned on or flashed with the dimmer switch handle. The flash-to-pass feature is accomplished by pulling the dimmer switch handle toward the driver. The headlights may be switched to high beam with the opposite movement of the dimmer switch lever. When the headlamp dimmer switch handle is pulled toward the driver, the flash-to-pass switch closes grounding the high beam circuit. Ground is provided at G201. Both high beams will remain on until the driver releases the switch handle.

If the driver places the headlight switch in the HEADLAMP position , the headlights will remain on until turned off or the battery runs dead.

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)

The ambient light sensor is a light sensitive transistor that varies its voltage signal to the body control module (BCM) in response to changes to the outside (ambient) light level. When the BCM receives this signal it will either turn on the daytime running lights (DRL) or the headlights. Any function or condition that turns on the headlights will cancel the daytime running lamps operation. With the headlight switch in the OFF position, the headlights will either be turned ON or OFF, after an approximate 30 second delay depending on whether daylight or low light conditions are sensed. The HTR A/C IGN fuse in the underhood junction block supplies ignition positive voltage to the daytime running lamp (DRL) relay coil circuit. The DRL relay switch contacts are connected to the low beam circuit. When the headlamp switch is placed in the OFF position, the BCM will either turn on or off the daytime running lamps, depending on whether daylight or low light conditions are sensed. The BCM energizes the DRL relay, closing the switch contacts and grounding the low beam circuit. Ground is provided at G201. The DRL illuminate the low beam headlights at a reduced intensity. The DRL will operate when the ignition switch is in the ON position, the gear selector is not in the PARK position and the parking brake is released. When these conditions have been met and the ambient light sensor indicates daytime conditions, the DRL will illuminate.

DRL operation in Manual Transmission equipped vehicles will occur when the ignition switch is in the ON position, and the parking brake is released.