Charging 2004 ford escape

2004 Ford EscapeMy battery light was coming on. My alternator went bad alright so I replaced it. I bought a new battery. When I was changing it I messed up the voltage regulator and didn’t know it. Eventually I took it and had it rebuilt, the alternator that is and put a new plug on it. It still wouldn’t run right so I took the battery to get checked because I jumped it quite a few times when alternator was still messed up and now the battery is bad. These model cars have chronic electrical issues and I noticed that my ignition is a little loose. When I pull the key out it makes noise like the keys in it. I know once I get this new battery it’s still not going to charge probably. I took alternator off myself under the computer and vacuum hoses and pulled it out the top what you’re not supposed to do but it worked. I’m wondering if I damaged a wire in the wiring harness. How do I check that? I know how to do the voltmeter but where my harness goes into the ECM, can that be taken apart to test? This is the real question I need, can my ignition switch or coil packs keep my charging system from charging? Because I’m almost positive I need new coil packs because of the missing and how crappy the car runs. And could the battery not charging make it miss and run crappie like it would if the coil packs are out? I can’t afford to take it to the mechanic and I have to get it running. Sorry this isn’t written better. If you can make sense of it, if not just say so and I will revise and write better thank you.

RESPONSE

1. Can my ignition switch or coil packs keep my charging system from charging?

No. The ignition switch nor the coil pack have anything to do with the charging system.

2. Could the battery not charging make it miss and run crappie like it would if the coil packs are out?

Yes. A weak battery and a failed alternator can cause the engine to function improperly due to a lack of proper voltage to the PCM.

Make sure to check your fuses after replacing the battery and alternator.

2004 Ford Escape Charging System Wiring Diagram