I have removed the skid plate on my 1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2.5 l 4 cylinder 5 speed manual many times without issue. This time when I went to take it off the transmission wants to come down with it. As far as I know there is not a top transmission mount? what is letting it come down?
There is no top transmission mounts, you are correct about that. There are two engine mounts and one transmission mount. It is normal for the transmission to want to lower. You should place something under it to support it when removing the skid plate.
TRANSFER CASE SKID PLATE
The transmission and transfer case crossmember is integrated with the transfer case skid plate.
WARNING: THE TRANSFER CASE AND TRANSMISSION ARE SUPPORTED BY THE TRANSFER CASE SKID PLATE. BEFORE REMOVING THE TRANSFER CASE SKID PLATE, ENSURE THAT THE TRANSMISSION IS PROPERLY SUPPORTED.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Place a support under the transmission.
- Remove the nuts attaching the transmission mount to the skid plate
- Remove the bolts attaching the skid plate to the frame
- Separate the skid plate from the vehicle.
- Position the skid plate on the vehicle.
- Install the bolts attaching the skid plate to the frame. Tighten the bolts to 74 N·m ( 55 ft. lbs.) torque.
- Install the nuts attaching the transmission mount to the skid plate. Tighten the nuts to 28 N·m ( 21 ft. lbs.) torque.
- Remove the support under the transmission.
- Remove the support from under the vehicle and lower the vehicle.