Trying to replace alternator. It is lose but can’t come out the top and CV-joint in the way so cant come out the bottom. Help please?
You will need to remove the air cleaner assembly in order to remove the alternator from the top.
Alternator Replacement 2000 Chevy Metro
- Disconnect the Negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Remove the rubber insulator, the nut, and the electrical connector from the alternator B+ terminal.
- Take off the upper mounting bolt (1).
- Remove the drive belt.
- Remove the 2 lower alternator mounting bolts (2).
- Take out the alternator.
- Install the alternator to the vehicle.
- Install the lower mounting bolts (2). Do not tighten the bolts at this time.
- Install the upper mounting bolt (1). Do not tighten the bolt at this time.
- Install the drive belt to the pulleys.
- Adjust the drive belt in order to obtain the specified deflection with 10 kg (22 lb) of pressure exerted.
Used Belt Deflection
6-8 mm (0.24-0.31 in)
New Belt Deflection
5-7 mm (0.20-0.27 in)
- Tighten the alternator mounting bolts.
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.Tighten
Tighten the alternator bolts to 23 N·m (17 lb ft).
- Connect the electrical connector to the alternator B+ terminal. Secure the connector with the nut and with the rubber insulator.Tighten
Tighten the electrical connector nut to 8 N·m (71 lb in).
- Install the air cleaner assembly.
- Connect the negative battery cable.Tighten
Tighten the negative battery cable to 15 N·m (11 lb in).