1995 Chevy Blazer single click from starter

1995 Chevy Blazer

I have a 1995 Chevy Blazer 4dr 4wd 4.3L V6 Vortex. I turn ignition on and get a single click from starter no crank…is this indicative of a bad solenoid? Engine was started an running just prior, switched off and no restart…battery is new, ignition harness replaced with new OEM

A single click from starter

The click you hear is the solenoid doing its job. So not a bad solenoid, but a worn brushes inside the starter. So you will need to replace the starter. Sometimes you can get lucky and have someone smack the starter with a hammer while you hold the key in the start position to get it to start one last time. I would only recommend this if you need to get it to a different location to work on it. Labor time is about an hour for this job.

Starter Replacement 4 Wheel Drive (1995-1997 Models)

To Remove:
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  3. Remove the differential carrier shield if equipped.
  4. Disconnect the engine mounts and raise the engine.
  5. Remove the transmission mount and support the transmission.
  6. Remove the starter mounting bolts. Rotate the starter for access and disconnect the wires from the solenoid.
  7. Remove the starter from the vehicle.
To Install:
  1. Position the starter near the engine and connect the wiring.
  2. Install the inside starter mounting bolt loosely and position the shims if equipped.
  3. Install the outboard starter mounting bolt. ◦Tighten the mounting bolts to 32 lb ft (43 Nm).
  4. Lower the engine assembly onto the engine mounts.
  5. Install the transmission mount and engine mounts.
  6. Install the differential carrier shield if equipped.
  7. Connect the negative battery cable.