I have a 2012 KIA Soul and it will not start, just one click. Also had a smell of burning wires after trying to start. Was able to jump starter to get it home. Is the starter solenoid bad?
Be sure the battery is in good working condition. If while holding the ignition in “START” there is no battery positive going to the “S” terminal on the starter the starter relay may be faulty. If battery positive is going to the “S” terminal, replace the starter.
Testing the starter relay
- Remove the fuse box cover.
- Remove the starter relay (A).
- Using an ohmmeter, check that there is continuity between each terminal.
Terminal 30 -87 Continuity NO
Terminal 85 – 86 Continuity YES
- Apply 12V to terminal 85 and ground to terminal 86.
- Check for continuity between terminals 30 and 87.
- If there is no continuity, replace the starter relay.
- Install the starter relay.
- Install the fuse box cover.