Attached cables and it started 2007 Cadillac DTS

Cadillac CTS

My car was running perfect. I went out from work and zero power to anything. Thought it would be battery so a friend attached cables and it started up. As soon as he removed the cables from his car, it died completely again. I’m thinking distributor but not sure if it could be something else before I remove the distributor and replace. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

First off, your car does not have a distributor so I think it is safe to say that the distributor is not the problem. Your car is equipped with what is called a distributor-less ignition system. But none of that is relevant to your issue.

Lets get to the fix. Most likely the alternator has failed or the connections from the alternator to the battery have failed. In either case the alternator can be tested. Also if the voltage in the battery is to low the vehicle will not stay running as the ECM requires a minimum voltage to operate correctly. So installing a NEW battery and and testing the alternator would be what is needed to fix the problem you are having.

Not so common is the power cable and not the battery or alternator. See video.

Keywords: