Gauge fuse keeps blowing 2001 Toyota 4Runner Limited V6

1999 Toyota 4Runner

The beginning of November my 4runner broke down. We changed the alternator. Well ever since my . Extremely fast almost to the point, you can’t even drive around in it for 10 minutes without it blowing again.

The end of Nov. it went dead on me. So we got a new battery. Once the new battery was in we noticed how the lights inside and out would go real dim when I wasn’t on the gas pedal but as soon as I would push the gas it would brighten back up. Also the same with the air(it’s cold so it’s heat atm). Also, when my alternator went out the first time the gauges and the air cut off, the fuse blew but I didn’t know that at the time.

I’m at a loss on what to do anymore with it. I’ve read everything from a short to the ac compressor but I don’t know what could be wrong. My husband has been trying to fix on it and look things up but he also isn’t a mechanic. But he can normally figure out what’s wrong but we are stuck. Please help. I don’t want to get rid of it but if I have to I will.

Gauge fuse keeps blowing

Looking at the wiring diagram in reference to the alternator and gauges I see a DIODE between the IGN fuse and the alternator. If anyone of the wires in the wiring harness are shorted or the diode has failed it may cause this issue. Checking the wiring in the wiring harness would be a good first step.

Unplug the connectors and check for continuity from the blown 10 amp Gauge fuse to ground. Then Isolate the connections and test the wires to each other to find the short.

How to Use a Multimeter

It may be internal in the alternator. I will just say that if you have replaced it with a REMANUFACTURED(REMAN) alternator there is a good chance the alternator is bad again.

2001 Toyota $ Runner Charging System Wiring Diagram