2002 Chevy Camaro wont go into park

Chevy Camaro

I have a 2002 Chevy Camaro. Today as I went to put it in park it wouldn’t go. So I pulled up the emergency brake for a few seconds and then released it. I was able to then put it in park. It did this a couple of times until I got home. Still wouldn’t go into park and this time pulling and releasing the emergency brake didn’t work like before. The only way to keep it in a parked position now is to keep the emergency brake up. What could be the problem and would it be an expensive thing to fix? I live on a small disability check so really can’t afford a big problem. Help!

This could be a number of things. I would start with making sure nothing is blocking the shifter. Sometimes coins, etc. block the shift mechanism from being able to move. Make sure the button on the shifter isn’t sticking. Also try putting the car in the air, taking the linkage off the transmission and see if you can get it in park by hand. If you can, then you know it’s in your shift cable/linkage. If you still can’t get it into park, then you know it’s inside the transmission. If the cable is stretched that sometimes can cause it. Maybe even get under the car while someone else moves the shifter to see what’s happening.

Shift Cable Adjustment

1. Place transmission shift control lever into Park position and apply parking brake.
  2. Raise and support vehicle.
  3. Position transmission range selector lever to Park by rotating range selector lever clockwise until it reaches full mechanical stop position.
  4. Snap transmission shift cable into bracket with cable adjustment button up.
  5. Snap shift cable onto range selector lever pin, then press cable adjustment button down.
  6. Insert retainer to fitting of shift cable.
  7. Lower vehicle.

Won’t go into park