Won’t crank by key Toyota RAV4 2012 Base 2.5L

Toyota Rav4

Won’t crank by key, but will start with remote starter. Can only shift using emergency button and then drive with limited functions (no power steering, lights).

My first thought would be a faulty ignition switch. But could also be as simple as a faulty ignition relay and or Starter relay(ST relay). Use the provided wiring diagrams below to help assist you in understanding how each system works. Note* The there are two starting system diagrams. One is for having the Smart Key System and one without.

2012 Toyota Rav4 Ignition Switch Wiring Diagram

2012-toyota-rav4-ignition-switch

2012 Toyota Rav4 Starting system Wiring Diagram

2012-toyota-rav4-starter

2012 Toyota Rav4 Starting system Wiring Diagram

2012-toyota-rav4-starter-wo-smart-key

4 thoughts on “Won’t crank by key Toyota RAV4 2012 Base 2.5L”

1. Thanks for the reply!

I checked all the fuses and only the AM1 is blown. I should get a replacement today to see if that solves it or if it blows again. Then I will check the relays (youtube instructions with power tool 12v battery). I will also check fusible links, but I don’t know how many and where they are yet.

Now I’m off to see how to check an ignition switch.

2. Well after changing the 20 cent fuse, everything works. I went for a drive too, used all the accessories except cigarette lighter. Mechanic said my alternator was bad. It’s charging at 14v while it was showing 12v in his shop.

Thanks for the diagram, I’ll print it out for future use 🙂

3. so the fuse replacement held up, no starting problems since. my front right blinker stays on when driving. it doesn’t blink unless i use turn signals. that’s now normal. that has to be a remote starter wiring issue? which was installed 2-3 months ago.

Comments are closed.