Use an Infrared Temperature Gun for Overheating Test

infrared-temperature-gun-testing-cars

My 2005 Uplander seems to run very warm all the time with the temp gauge around half. Is that normal? Thank you

Why yes it is normal for the temp gauge to be in the middle. This is usually around 200 degrees. Engine overheating is not something to take lightly. But there is no reason to guess about it. You can purchase an infrared temperature gun. I looked one up at Amazon if you would like to purchase one. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

How to use the Infrared Temp Gun

First run the engine until it reaches its normal operating temperature. You indicated that would be about half on your gauge. After the engine reaches the normal operating temperature aim the gun at the side of the engine head and pull the trigger. This will give you and accurate reading.

You can also use the Infrared Temp Gun for checking the operation of your thermostat. This is accomplished by checking the upper and lower radiator hoses at start up, during warm up and after operating temperature has been reached.

Chevy Uplander Engine Coolant temperature Sensor Location

Replace Thermostat

1. Remove air cleaner intake duct.
  2. Drain cooling system into suitable container.
  3. Disconnect electronic throttle control (ETC) electrical connector from throttle body.
  4. Remove heater pipe nut at throttle body.
  5. Remove only heater inlet pipe.
  6. Next Remove nuts and bolts from throttle body.
  7. Remove throttle body assembly.
  8. Remove throttle body gasket.
  9. Then Remove radiator inlet hose from thermostat housing.
  10. Remove mounting bolts and thermostat housing, Fig. 1.
  11. Remove thermostat and O-ring seal. Discard O-ring seal.
  12. Reverse procedure to install. Torque throttle body bolts to 89 inch lbs.