1996 Ford Explorer XLT

My gas was still a little above the red line but my gas light came on I have my truck warming up for about 5 minutes and all of a sudden it started puttting and when I would push on the gas it wouldn’t do nothing and then it turned off I thought I might of flooded it the next morning I went to turn it on and it started up I got about 4 blocks away and it started puttting again and turned off now it turns over but putts a few times and then turns off it will not stay running i put a quarter of a tank of gas

2 thoughts on “1996 Ford Explorer XLT”

1. If you have the ability to test the fuel pressure, this would be my first step.

You could try spraying some starting fluid in the air filter to see if it will run, if it does then you know it is for sure fuel related.

Given the circumstances I would look to replacing the fuel filter. Since you ran the fuel level pretty low you may have picked up some small rust particles and clogged the fuel filter.

Once the filter is replaced, don’t forget to cycle the ignition key “ON” and “OFF” at least 10 times to prime the fuel system. You would have wanted to do this after you added fuel to it once it initially ran out. If you haven’t, try this first.

If you have no fuel pressure after replacing the fuel filter and priming the fuel system, you may need to replace the fuel pump.

Comments are closed.