2001 Hyundai Accent 3dr GS

Hi so i own a 2001 Hyundai accent and i recently had to get my starter replaced. The shop recommended i put a direct drive starter as its cheaper and according to him more durable(as i researched this i found he was wrong about the durability) but anyway, When talking to the front desk as i was picking up my vehicle i was told that the starter was replaced however there is now a loud rattling/grinding noise when the engine runs and it wont go away. On start-up it also makes this whine/screech. None of these noises were ever remotely present before they got a hold of my vehicle. The mechanic actually informed me of the noise and offered to find out what it is, but for $60-$130. I’m curious what might be causing this noise and if I should find someone else to help, if i can do a quick fix myself or go back to the shop that did the work and demand they fix what they broke(if they broke anything). Its quite astonishing that a CAA approved shop would do work on my vehicle only to cause another issue and then try to charge me to figure out what they did wrong. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Keywords:

1 thought on “2001 Hyundai Accent 3dr GS”

1. I have to assume when you took your car to the shop for the starter that it would not start on its own and therefore the earliest the mechanic would be able to notice any noise would be after they had replaced the starter and then could start the engine. Upon starting the engine they heard the noise for the first time. Not sure why they wouldn’t have called you to see if you wanted it checked out before coming in to pick it up, but don’t know the details as maybe you just said you’d be back after lunch or something.

You paid them to put on a starter and it now starts, so I think you got what you paid for. It may be possible that what ever caused your starter to go out in the first place is making the noise or may not be related at all. Is the noise coming from the starter area or somewhere else?

Until you discover what the noise is, it would be premature to point blame.

Now, if it was not making the noise and you drove it to the mechanic and now it does make the noise. I would not have picked it up or excepted the car until it was fixed.

Diagnose the Problem Yourself

Comments are closed.