Where Do I Start?
- Start off by determining what it is you need to repair
- Noise : what does it sound like to you and where is it coming from
- Electrical : Something electrical has quit working (ex. Windows, lights, radio)
- Light on Dash : Check engine light, brake light, low coolant light, battery light
- No Start : just clicks, cranks over but won't start, no dash lights, repeated clicks
- No Power : when you press the gas the engine revs high but won't move or slow
- Brakes : The car doesn't seem to stop as normal, brake pedal feels spongy
- Air Conditioning : Blows hot, doesn't blow at all, blows cold out one side only
- Tires : Flat tire, worn uneven, alignment, leaking air slowly
- Parts : where can I get auto repair parts online for my car or truck
- Smell : Sweet smell, fuel smell, burning smell, rotten egg smell
2. Now that you have figured out what the issue is you need to repair, you can continue to simplify that area. Lets take "Noise" for example. The car makes noise. Ask yourself questions, Say "Self..."
- What kind of noise? a roaring noise.
- When does this roaring noise occur? Stopped? When you hit a bump? driving? Driving
- What are you doing while driving? braking? accelerating? Turning? Turning and Straight
- Does the noise Change? the roaring gets louder when I turn and quiet when I go Straight
- Does it change when applying brake or not? No
- What side of car does the roaring occur? Left
- Front or Back? Front
3. Tap yourself on the head a few times and think for a moment. You have a Roaring Noise that occurs while driving that gets louder and quieter when turning and is coming from the left front of the vehicle and has nothing to do with the brakes.
- Investigate by jacking up the front end and looking at the rotating components.
- Does the CV Shaft show any signs of damage? No
- When you grab the tire at the top and bottom and wiggle it does it have free play? Yes
- When you spin the wheel do you here anything? Yes, a slight metallic rubbing
Congratulations! You have now discovered the Left Front Hub Bearing Assembly needs to be replaced.
If you need auto repair manual procedure to perform the repair right now you can purchase an online repair manual and have access now for just $16.99. Includes your vehicles wiring diagrams, TSB's, Auto Repair Procedures, Maintenance schedules and more. You can also ask an auto repair question Now
GET AN ONLINE AUTO REPAIR MANUAL
FOR YOUR CAR - Get on-line access to drive belt routing, repair instructions, wiring diagrams, trouble code diagnostic charts and updated factory bulletins.