Will a salvage yard ECM plug & play or does it need to be re-flashed? Will pull it out of same year & model. It is a 2005 Buick LaCrosse 3800 v6.
In short, Yes it will need to be programmed to match your vehicles vin# according to the manual procedure below.
Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
This procedure should only be performed when the PCM is replaced, when requested by the PCM or when informed by a service bulletin. In order to perform this programming procedure, access to a General Motors’ Techline Information System 2000 PC Techline Terminal will be required.
1. Turn ignition switch to the OFF position.
2. Connect a suitably programmed Tech II, or equivalent, scan tool to Data Link Connector (DLC).
3. Turn ignition switch to the ON position and turn all accessories off.
4. Select “Service Programming” from scan tool menu.
5. Input vehicle information requested by scan tool.
6. Select type of module to be programmed and type of programming to be performed.
7. Compare VIN displayed on scan tool with vehicle VIN. If VIN does not match, write down actual VIN and correct at Techline terminal.
8. Exit “Service Programming” and turn off scan tool.
9. Disconnect scan tool from DLC connector and turn off ignition switch.
10. Connect scan tool to Techline Terminal and select “Service Programming.”
11. Select type of scan tool and type of programming to be performed.
12. Verify displayed VIN with vehicle VIN, correct as required.
13. Select type of module to be programmed, then identify type of programming to be performed as follows:
a. Normal: This type of programming is for updating an existing calibration or programming a new controller.
b. Vehicle Configuration Index (VCI): This selection is used if the vehicle VIN is unavailable or is not recognized by Techline Terminal. The Techline Customer Support center will have to be contacted to use this option.
c. Reconfigure: This type of programming is used to reconfigure a vehicle, such as tire size or axle ration changes.
14. Select appropriate calibration file and verify all connections are secure.
15. Select “Reprog” to initiate download of new calibration to scan tool.
16. After download is complete, turn off scan tool and disconnect from Techline Terminal.
17. Connect scan tool to DLC.
18. Turn scan tool on, then the ignition switch to the ON position.
19. Select “Service Programming” and “Select Program.”
20. After download is complete, exit “Service Programming.”
21. Turn ignition switch off for 30 seconds.
22. Turn scan tool off.
23. If control module was replaced, perform the following service procedures:
a. CKP system variation learn.
b. GM Oil Life System resetting.
c. Program theft deterrent system.