1983 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

My car’s front wheels have been shaking violently at slow speeds when I press the brakes. at speeds above 45, it’s not as violent but still noticeable. When I slow down from 10 mph, the left tire locks up and then releases continuously. When I break quickly but just barely press the brakes, the left tire completely locks up but not the right. I checked the rotors and break pads but none of them are bad. Could anyone give me a clue as to what could be causing this?

1 thought on “1983 Chevrolet Monte Carlo”

1. Sounds to me like the left front brake is trying to all the work. And because of this has caused the left front rotor to warp. This is the cause for the violent vibration when trying to stop. But wait, there more. I do not think the right front brake is working at all.

TEST:

Jack the front end of the car and support it with jack stands. Have someone help you by pressing the brake pedal once you have a chance to spin the the tire. Try the left and then the right. Odds are that the right front does nothing to slow the tire from spinning. If this is the case, you would first want to check the caliper and then the caliper hose. Also you might see that the left brake pads are worn just a bit more than the right.

Now, if the right brake works perfect, then go back to the left front and double check the caliper slides to make certain the caliper can move from side to side freely. If it can not, this can also cause a similar issue as it will drag the brake pads on that side and can also warp the rotor.

Both are quite common on older vehicles from rust, weather, wear and tear.

Brake Troubleshooting.
    Step by Step Brake Caliper Replacement

Comments are closed.