When a car problem occurs, the first step is to trouble shoot the related system. Then, perform simple tests that can lead you to the cause of the malfunction and the repairs needed to correct the problem. Follow the "first thing to check" list and test by symptoms how to test for a problem, then execute the proper repair.
Automotive Engine Repair: Car Engine Symptoms
- Try and detect the problem - is the car not starting, running roughly, conking out, or using too much petrol?
- After you have detected it, isolate the system most likely to be its cause. If it is conking out, the fuel system may be at fault. If it is not starting, the electrical system may be worth looking at first. If the car is overheating, check the cooling system.
- After you have isolated the most likely system, locate the weakest link in that system. The fuel pump, for example, is often the most vulnerable part of the fuel system.
- Check each successive part in the system until the problem is solved.
- Get the broken part replaced or repaired. Consult your car's manual for other specific problems you might be facing. This will help to speed up diagnosis.